Moving Major Appliances The Right WayAll Westfield moving companies will insist that you prepare all your major appliances ahead
of time before moving day arrives. Many moving companies offer professional service that will
properly pack up your appliances for you for a price. They’ll save you time and make sure all
your appliances are packed up properly and arrive in good working condition in your new home.
It might not seem like a complicated task but if you don’t pack up your appliances properly,
they may not work when you arrive in your new home. If you choose to pack it up on your own,
here’s a step by step guide you can follow:
1. For all your major appliances, check out the instruction manual for moving instructions. If
you can’t find them, check out the manufacturer’s website to view an online copy.
2. Make sure to unplug the refrigerators a minimum of 24 hours before moving day. Throw
away an perishables and defrost the freezer. Make sure all surfaces of the refrigerators
are dry and clean so that you avoid mold and mildew. Take out all the racks and secure
them in a separate container making sure they don’t shift during the move. If your fridge
has an ice maker, take out the waterline and drain it completely.
3. Stoves should be cleaned thoroughly. Remove all of the racks and keep them in a
secure place. For gas stoves, make sure the gas is switched off before disconnecting
the line. Gas lines are fragile so you must exercise caution. If you don’t feel comfortable
doing this, you can call up your gas company and ask for help. Once that’s done, tape
down all of the knobs and other moving pieces to make sure nothing moves or gets lost
during your move.
4. All dishwashers need to emptied out and all removable parts like racks must be packed
separately. Make sure the door is sealed with tape.
5. These units need special handling. Take out all of the hoses and pack them in separate
containers. Make sure you fill up voids and gaps with packing popcorn. Make sure the
washer’s drum is secure.
6. All appliances must be unplugged. Secure them all on the using packing tape. Make
sure none of the cords are dangling and coming loose.
7. Make sure all doors and lids on all appliances are kept shut. Use packing tape if you
With a few exceptions, most of these steps aren’t too difficult and will only require time and
patience. For more moving advice, ask your moving company for tips and help on how
to move major appliances on your own.
It can take some time but you should be able to do everything on your own. Be sure not to rush
or you risk causing damage or even breaking your appliances. Don’t forget to properly label
the boxes your appliances are in so that your Westfield movers will be able to easily distinguish
them from your other belongings.
For A Fast And Free Estimate On Your Next Mover Call Us At (908) 543 7751 Now!